Table of Contents Hide
- Step 1 – Create An Ezoic Account
- Step 2 – Integrate Your Site With Ezoic Using Ezoic’s CDN
- Step 3 – Apply To The Google Ad Exchange
- Step 4 – Add Placeholders To Your Website
- Step 5 – Complete The Ezoic Access Now Training
- Step 6 – Add ads.txt File To Your Website
- Step 7 – Configure Ezoic’s Privacy and Consent Management Policies
- Step 8 – Turn On Ezoic Traffic
A content publisher can put ads on their website and get paid from them by joining ad management programs provided by ad brokers such as Google AdSense, Ezoic, Mediavine, AdThrive, etc. These ad brokers will pay the publisher based on the number of pageviews that their website receives each month.
Most ad brokers will use a metric called Cost Per Mille (thousand) or CPM to determine how much they will pay you for every 1000 pageviews that your website receives. The amount that is paid based on this metric is not a fixed amount for all websites. The exact amount that you will get paid per 1000 pageviews on your website fluctuates and is determined by the following:
- The ad broker that you choose to place ads on your website.
- The niche that your website operates in.
- The amount of traffic that your website receives each month.
- How valuable your website traffic is to advertisers.
- The demographic of the majority of your monthly website visitors.
- How well the ads on your website are optimized.
On my website, I use Ezoic to serve ads to my audience, so the following tutorial will show you how to sign up and place ads on your website using the Ezoic access now program.
Step 1 – Create An Ezoic Account
1. Follow this link to the Ezoic homepage and click on the get started button.
2. On the following page click on the join access now button.
3. In the fields provided enter your email address and then click on continue.
4. On the next page enter the URL of the website that you would like to connect to Ezoic.
5. From the options provided select what aspects of your website you would like Ezoic to help you improve and then click continue.
6. Next click on the get started button to go to your dashboard.
7. Under the complete account setup option, enter your first name, last name, and password of your choice in the fields provided.
Step 2 – Integrate Your Site With Ezoic Using Ezoic’s CDN
1. Under the integrate your site with Ezoic option click on the select button under the nameservers option.
2. Open a new tab in your browser and navigate to your domain registrar’s website. (My domain registrar is SiteGround so the remainder of this section will show you how to change the nameservers of a domain that is registered with SiteGround. If your domain is not registered with SiteGround you can find a tutorial for your registrar on this Ezoic YouTube playlist).
3. Sign in to your SiteGround account then click on the services tab and select domains.
4. Locate the domain of the website that you will be integrating with Ezoic then click on manage.
5. Under the nameserver section to the right, click on manage nameservers.
6. Change the appropriate nameservers to the ones provided to you by Ezoic then click on confirm.
7. Head back to your Ezoic dashboard and click on integration complete.
8. Wait for the integration to be detected and verified by Ezoic.
Step 3 – Apply To The Google Ad Exchange
1. Click on the connect to Google tab and select no when asked if you already have a google ads manager account. After which enter the email address that you would like to use to manage your ad account and click on the send invite button.
2. Check your email inbox for the invitation that google has sent. (It can take 20 – 30 minutes for you to receive this email)
3. Within this email, click on the view request button which will take you to a page with a signup form.
4. Fill out the form on the Google ad manager page and then click on submit.
5. Wait for your Google Ad Manager account to be approved. After which Ezoic will automatically submit your website to google for approval
Step 4 – Add Placeholders To Your Website
1. Head on over to the website that you connected to Ezoic. If the website is powered by WordPress log out of your WordPress Admin dashboard.
2. Follow this link to the google chrome app store and download and install the Ezoic Chrome extension.
3. Return to your website and go to a page that you would like to add ads to.
4. Once on the page click on the Ezoic extension icon in your google chrome toolbar.
5. Under the ads, tab click on create. Set the placeholder size as automatically detect and then click on select locations.
6. Hover your mouse pointer over a location on your website that you think is a good location for an ad and click on it
7. Once the location is selected a grey box will appear near the location you clicked.
8. If you don’t like the location of the placeholder you can use the icons above the grey box to move it. Hovering your mouse pointer over each icon will show a tooltip of what it does.
9. Once you are satisfied with the location click on insert here and a popup with placeholder settings will appear.
10. Under the “where on this page is this placeholder” heading use the drop-down menu and select the appropriate location.
11. Leave the other options as the default set by Ezoic. You can return to these options later when you are more experienced with the ad tester tools and manually configure them.
12. Finally, click on the save placeholder button to create the placeholder.
13. Repeat steps 3 to 12 in this section to add up to 20 placeholders on your website. All placeholder locations will not be filled with an ad when Ezoic is turned on. The reason why we place so many placeholders on the page is to give Ezoic enough potential ad locations to effectively optimize the ads on your website.
Step 5 – Complete The Ezoic Access Now Training
Now that you have completed the initial Ezoic setup you will need to wait on Google and Ezoic to validate and confirm your ad exchange account and website. While you wait you will need to complete three Ezoic training modules and pass three exams to start using all of Ezoic’s features.
Step 6 – Add ads.txt File To Your Website
1. From the top bar click on the monetize icon
2. Scroll down until you see the ads.txt section then click on the automatic setup button.
3. Follow through the ads.txt setup wizard until the end.
4. Wait for google to crawl your website and find the newly created ads.txt file. (This can take up to 48 hours to be completed.)
Step 7 – Configure Ezoic’s Privacy and Consent Management Policies
1. Click on the privacy icon from the top menu bar
4. Finally, in the Consent Management section click on “Enable Ezoic Consent Management”.
Step 8 – Turn On Ezoic Traffic
1. Click on the turn-on traffic tab and select traffic for desktop, tablet, and mobile
2. Set the percentage of traffic that you would like Ezoic to feed ads to and then click save.
3. Finally, if you visit your website using a browser that you are not logged into or an incognito window you should see ads populated within the areas you designated with placeholders.